drive

drive

Monday, January 17, 2011

What is in a name

What is this "end of the road?"

Some people have been critical of the name "End of the Road" for this blog. My initial choice of the name was a simple geographical fact: we live at the end of a road, lane to be more precise. But that was not the only reason.

The end of the road is not just some finality that we all face before ceasing to be or some impasse that gets us stuck in a place. That may be the first thing that comes to some people's minds, but I think of it differently: "I've stopped my wandering about and come to this place. This is where I will set myself and this is a place I will experience in its fullness." I can't do that if I keep going down the road. The end of the road is a true beginning. In Buddhism we experience the opening up of all possibilities when the mind stops its wandering from one thing to another and we are finally able to see what is right in front of us.

So only when I come to the end of the road and stop can I move about and discover what is around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment